My Blog List

Monday, February 6, 2017

Scrutinizing "Women" And Sketching Who's Who

Senator Susan Collins, R, Maine and Senator Lisa Murkowsky, R, Alaska. Two Woman opposed to
Betsy DeVos as Secretary of Education; she favors federal funding of privately run  schools.  She is not
an educator. She is unqualified.  She is a large contributor to the Republican party.




Rex Tillerson, President Trump's Secretary of State.  He was the first Trump appointee who spoke to the people as
a whole; didn't use words like dude, hombre, or really fantastic, didn't brag of his past achievements.  He had charisma and diplomacy, something that has been not seen in Trumps buddies.  He is a product of coporate America who rose to the top of Exxon.  He struck me as being fit for the job. 





Steve Bannon, Trump's  former campaign advisor  now in the White House as his political advisor.  His previous
occupation was CEO of Breitbart News, a white supremacist leaning news organization.  Trump has currently appointed him
to the National Security Council which is strongly opposed by everybody but Trump. 






Attorney General Sally Q. Yates who banned the ban Trump levied on immigration and was fired for choosing to follow the law instead of the President's directive.   In a government teeming with "yes men", she said no.  Now a few other judges are saying no.  The constitutionality of the ban is likely to be disputed all the way to the Supreme Court.   






New Supreme Court Justice, Neil Gorsuch, graphite 4" x 6.  Well educated, well respected. Said to be on a par with deceased Justice Scalia. 



There's no better way to familiarize yourself with new leadership than by reading all their backgrounds and then spending a few minutes  sketching them, before making more calls to Senators to voice my opinion--of which I have many.  That's how I've been spending my mornings as Ellis and I twiddle  fingers waiting for his surgery next Tuesday.  The anxiety of what lies ahead  has definitely cooled my desire to paint, but I have managed to scrutinize  my gals Waiting At The Gate.  They need taming.  Simplifying.  Lightening up.  And fading out.  It's an ambitious painting, one that demands concentration at a time when my concentration is elsewhere.  Short sessions will have to suffice.


Ladies are now sitting on a bench,  not in separate seats.  One passenger has been removed and another is on his way to being a  directional, compositional blur.  The gal listening in will be played down, the back of the long bench will be lightened up-- along with the women's' apparel.  More squinting and evaluating, then painting. 






2 comments:

  1. I am sorry I have no interest in American politics, but I take your informative musings and lovely drawings and savour them....but it is enough. Thank you. Your gals at the gate are going well too, slowly, yes, but on your mind too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry if my personal interest in the political images of my country doesn't interest you, but these are the images that have been catching my interest these last two, turbulent weeks. Drawing them is no different than drawing the people I see on holiday or in waiting rooms , EXCEPT that what they do in their lives affects what will go on in my life. I like to know who these people are.

      "Waiting" isn't going any slower than i thought it would given Ellis' lung cancer diagnosis and all the unrest that stirs up. He comes before painting, as does getting my fitness back after two surgeries in the last two years. For now, drawing dominates my time.

      Delete